As you can probably guess from the title of my blog, I love horses. I’ve been riding, mucking out, grooming, etc every day for the past 20+ years and have become fairly adept at spotting someone who is in the same stable as me in terms of our love of all things equestrian.
Contrary to popular opinion though, we don’t tend to parade around in cream jodhpurs and leather boots. It’s really not that glam. There are a few surefire ways to spot a horsey girl:
1) Despite being fairly well groomed in civilised situations, if you look closely at a horsey girl in the supermarket, at work, or in a cafe, there will be tell-tale signs, such as hay in her hair, mud around the edges of her shoes, or tiny horse hairs woven into her clothes.
2) Her car will need mucking out as much as her horse’s stable! I’ve never seen a horsey girl’s car that is clean inside or out.
3) She will have numerous weather apps on her phone. Imperative to make decisions on whether her beloved equine bestie needs a rug on or not, whether he needs to come in or not, or whether he needs to be covered head to toe in fly spray.
4) She will constantly run out of money. It’s no lie that horses are a seriously expensive hobby. But she’ll always be able to afford feed, hay, straw and the farrier.
5) Hunter wellies are not a fashion accessory, they are a must-have. And the likelihood is that you won’t be able to tell what colour hers were originally, due to them being so ingrained in mud.